Sunday, August 17, 2008

L is for Layering

This is the season to perfect your ability to layer creatively, darlings!
Runway inspirations via style.com except where noted:


3.1 Phillip Lim
Note how the scarf is tucked into the belt!
Adam
Burberry Prorsum
Carolina Herrera
Charles Nolan
Derek Lam
Diane von Furstenberg – loving the short belted jacket over a longer sweater!

This photo via nymag.com
Jean Paul Gaultier
Blumarine
Miss Sixty
A Fall 2008 look from Tory Burch.

Visit toryburch.com.

Expert Layering Options:

1) Experiment with variegated sleeve lengths
At Marni, three different sleeve lengths add interest to the look. Note also the variety in colors and fabrics... Nothing really "matches" but somehow it all works!
This picture courtesy nymag.com.
Just look at the variety of sleeve lengths in jackets for autumn!
Mike & Chris Stanley sleeveless blazer.
Visit owlslab.com.
Gap short sleeved pea coat, $78
Trina Turk Shiro jacket with funnel collar and elbow length sleeves, at shopbop.com
2) Belt it! Remember the SNL “Gap Girls” sketch with David Spade and Chris Farley? “Just cinch it!” Turns out they were right ~ Whether over a cardigan or jacket, open or not, a belt adds interest and defines the waist. Check out the instructional trio of looks from luckymag.com!
See also: Autumn Cashmere belted vest over BA&SH tunic, via Glamour UK

3) Get sheer! Layer two sheer shirts together. Or layer a diaphanous blouse over a dress!

4) Use skinny jeans as leggings! Check out CC’s fave layered look in the collage above – CC loves to wear J Brands under a T-Bags dress! Then throw on a fitted blazer, fun wrap and cute cloche and you’re good to go!
5) Don’t fret if your frock peeks out from beneath your coat. It is now perfectly acceptable to wear a shorter topper over a longer dress, as at Peter Som.
6) Wear a strapless dress over a tunic or long-sleeve shirt! See Paul Smith floral frock at right, and note the multiple patterns!
Another option? Layer a bustier over a tee!
Photo courtesy nymag.com.
7) Don multiple blazers, like this model at J-C de Castelbajac.
Image via Paris Vogue.
8) Wear a waistcoat atop a blouse, as at Diane von Furstenberg
Runway photo via nymag.com
DVF, contd.
Isletti Vest, Bergen Silk Chiffon dress and skinny python-embossed belt, at Neiman Marcus.

You may also experiment with layering two vests of different lengths, shorter over longer!
9) Tights are your friend! Layer fishnets over opaques, and experiment with patterns and interesting color combinations!
Karolina Kurkova, photographed by David LaChapelle for Vanity Fair, August 2001
10) Wear a blazer over a dress! Step up your evening game with a look like the one pictured above: Alice + Olivia bustier dress paired with Rag & Bone blazer.
This is the time to invest in some versatile and timeless sheath dresses. Be sure that that can stand alone as well as team with other key pieces in your wardrobe, for that expert layered look.
And don't be shy! Foray out of your "solids" comfort zone and pick up an interesting shift like this Lauren Moffatt embroidered hem dress. Will look so chic paired with a cardi, cape or duster!
All at shopbop.com.
11) Be adventurous with gloves.
For example, you may wish to layer your bangles over your gloves, as done by Marilyn in Gentlemen Prefer Blondes and Lucy Liu
CC also loves the look of opera length gloves with a short-sleeve cardigan, jacket or dress.
Louis Vuitton pre-fall.

45 comments:

emsie said...

Some amazing tips. I'm going to definitely be layering and experimenting with my tights this season.

Miranda said...

ohh i love what marni did with those sleeves.
love all the pics.
and thanks for the comment! :)

IRIS and PIETER said...

wow great pictures!
really inspirefull!

elysia mann said...

mmmmmmm i love layering! that's why i love fall! it's coming soon...

Anonymous said...

Wow, that's lots of nice and inspirational stuff!

leeselooks said...

oh layering. oh we love thee...

WONDERFUL post!

dee said...

OMG that yellow coat! I love your roundups so much. Nobody does them quite like you. Do I win an outfit as a prize for commenting first?

It would be cruel to deny me, CC.

Andrea Martínez Maugard said...

Me encanta la idea que presentas de conjugar una letra del abecedario con un post, es super original! Y con respecto a las layers, estoy en pleno proceso, aunque de a poco ya se acerca la primavera por estos lados...
Y te robé algunas pics :)

Alegra said...

This is something I absolutely see myself with! Great post
XOXO

Siljesfashion said...

Love this post!! Layers are a must have in my book. I use dresses, blazers and cardigans as a canvas and work around it. With a tiny waist like mine, I love to put a belt on to. Thank you for giving me even more inspiration! And for your lovely words about my work. It means a lot to me, coming from such a talented woman as yourself:-

Krissy | Paper Schmaper said...

Knits and Layering, your posts this weekend, are awesome! I'd love to know where the cropped short sleeve peacoat is from- LOVE IT!

Little Bow Prep said...

I'm giving you an award! Yay you!

LOVED this post. It was awesome! My favorites were the three DvF outfits. I love DvF! Her wrap dresses are supercomfy too! The belt idea is terrific.

Seeker said...

I love layeing!!!
But I think it must be well done, because of the proportions.

This post is great dear, amazing with all this tips.

I love tights, gloves, shirts, blazers and cardigans...
You're so inspirational.

xoxo

Anonymous said...

i like the cinched look, can't wait for fall!

Anonymous said...

This post is exactly what I need. I'm so so SO bad at layering, I'll definitely be following these tips.

Thank you!! :D

Anonymous said...

i think i need layering 101. i'm not the best at it. lol. the best i've ever done was a uneck under a billowy tank! haha.

Sienna said...

Layering is my favorite :) THanks for the inspiration in these photos!! Always looking for new layering ideas!

jess said...

Great photos. I never would have thought of layering two blazers!

Cupcakes and Cashmere said...

usually when i layer, i just feel as though it adds much unwanted bulk, but some of these looks are really promising. i think i could definitely try belting a cardigan over a dress for fall.

Tani Lezama said...

oh too much!!! how beautifull!!!! Nicole Miller and i love Stella and Miss Sixty great!

kisses CC

Pamcasso said...

fabulous advice, and I love the Adam look.

I'm afraid you won't be able to have this blog for long because some magazine is going to snap you up! :)

Danz said...

Love this post CC!

While most people in the Caribbean tend to follow the 'less is more' principle, I can't get enough of layering!

Although I wouldn't wear something so ridiculously impractical that it could possibly make me suffer a heatstroke, I definitely have a love of all kinds of outerwear and winter accessories and I wear them when I can.

The looks you picked are so gorgeous! Such a lovely mix of shapes, proportions, patterns, colours and textures. Even though I won't be experiencing fall weather, I will definitely be enjoying all the wonderful fashion from the season!

Take care darling and have a great day tomorrow :)

Lindsay said...

i looove layers and am loving the photos! thanks for all the insipration!

Nikki said...

wheee i love layering! i just might try stripes with florals this season! thanks for the good ideas carrie =D

Sydney said...

i love the hot pink dress at the bottom and the yellow suit!

Aliena said...

Absolutely loved this post!! i've taken notes and will be using your tips!!! Thanks!

Sharon S said...

Hi there-what a fantastic and inspirational post, definitely my favourite so far!! It really puts you in the mood for Autumn and you've given out some great tips, which some I will definitely try!!

Annie Spandex said...

The belt over a vest looks interesting... a different take on the belted cardigans.

Songy said...

CC... thank you for your sweet comment as usual. :)

Layering is cool. I even started layering necklaces!

one request for you.
Would you like to expend your content area? Each one of your post is so jam packed I don't think the space you've got there is enough. So much so that the polyvore image is cut off in this post.. I can see that image fine in google reader tho. Let me know if you need any help with it.

Marian said...

Carrie great great tips! i adore the variety of sleeve lengths on offer this season right from the catwalk to the high street.
muah!
Marian
xx

Sara Morante said...

Nice colors. Lovely dress¡¡¡¡¡¡ (10#)

S (formerly of Modern-Guilt) said...

Loving the Lim and the Blumarine, and FANTASTIC tips! I'm definitely going to be doing some sheer layering up top and lots of tights in the fall.
xox
S

Anthea said...

Hmmm layering tights..never thought of that one! I still have not figured out wear I am going to get my tights yet and what colors! I am thinking some bright colors and some laceys:) Love love love the skinny belts. Your post is top notch as usual!

jip said...

I love layering, nice post =]

Syed said...

I am SO looking forward to my winter layering :) Beautiful examples as always, love the second look!

LuLu124 said...

oh greaat tips, and i just so love layering!!! it's stylish, sensible and really fun to do :))) you're definitely making me wish fall was here sooner CC!!! ;D xoxo, lulu

Shes Dressing Up said...

Ooh multipul blazers sounds intriguing!

FASHION CHALET said...

Layering = one of my favorite things, especially in the Fall weather.

The boots were a lucky find. I have an eye for things to buy no matter what store I'm in. Is it a blessing or a curse? lol.. Thanks for your comments, you are always so sweet. xx

Angela said...

hihi CC, can't wait to try the layering for fall. i am having lots of fun trying thin layering tee with sleeveless sweater dress and leggings. but sort of hot in california this couple of days. : )

Anonymous said...

Thanks a lot for your comment in El Fashionista about Bonvoyage's collection. I'm glad you like it!

ryder said...

hi, im not going to comment on ur post toay, but will tommorow.
hat i will say that i nominated u for a log premiun award. pls folow the rules u will find on my website. i mean blog. :)

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your comment! great spotting and love the hats!

Tonia said...

I must say I do love all of the inspiration I get from your blog. The only criticism I can come with is that the layout of the post and the pics can get a bit messy at times, making it difficult to read.

Missa said...

Oh yes, layering is definitely where the magic happens!

Claudia said...

This is absolutely my favorite trend ever. Layering is just the key to fashion succes. You can do so much with layering, it's just a type of magic. Nobody even comes close to how much I love layering. Me love!