Monday, November 3, 2008

Bicameral Legislature

Seems that red and blue aren’t the only colors being pitted against each other! Dual-hued pieces are all the rage!
At right: Reese Witherspoon looks ravishing Alexander McQueen in Vogue. Photos via style.com except where noted.
Below, the genesis of the runway trend: Alexander McQueen’s iconic red and white dress.
As you might imagine, there are various types of two-tone looks:
1) top/bottom;
2) bilateral;
3) front/back (as at McQueen); and
4) diagonal division.
I. Top & Bottom
Agnes b., via nymag.com
Richard Nicoll
Marni ruffled felted wool dress – CC loves!
Requiem
II. Bilateral color blocking
Armand Basi One
Lanvin (at right)
Pollini (at left)
Marni
III. Front/Back
Gareth Pugh
Chanel tights
IV. Diagonal Duos
Armani Privé
Anne Valerie Hash
Maison Martin Margiela
Accessories Get Divided:
Chanel bag and tights
Left: Chloé bicolor Cyndi tote; this and next at bluefly.com.
Right: Prada gold metallic zip shoulder bag with removable strap.
Cynthia Rowley clutch, half off at Nordstrom.com.
Louis Vuitton lambskin gloves, pictured via elle.com.
J. Crew colorblock gloves
Prada two-tone buckle skimmer, at Barneys New York



The Martine satin ballet flats pictured at right are half price at jcrew.com!
VPL thigh high stockings with stirrup. Visit shopbop.com. Or achieve the same effect DIY-style by wearing thigh-highs over a contrasting tight!
Two-Tone Attire
Jane Birkin photographed by Norman Parkinson for a 1966 issue of Vogue, courtesy Fellow Fashionista Bronwyn of FashionAbility.
Marc by Marc Jacobs cardi, at barneys.com.
RM by Roland Mouret Raspail tweed top with sheer panel, at net-a-porter.com.
Frank Tell dress and LNA leggings, via teenvogue.com
At right: Lipsy one-shoulder black and purple dress; this and next 2 at asos.com.
Left: Iodice cross front jersey dress
At right: Hype gray and teal silk jersey dress.
Lisa Perry double knit wool jersey shift at lisaperrystyle.com.
At right: TIBI shift; this and next 4 at net-a-porter.com.
Hervé Léger bicolor bandage dress
Isaac Mizrahi Tea Cozy dress
Miu Miu red and white pleated skirt frock (currently half off!)
Pringle 1815 mustard and gray tank dress
Can’t afford Pringle but want the look? Try American Apparel’s two-tone mini dress, shown at right and available at americanapparel.net in 6 different color combos for $34.00!
Last look: a Beach Cruiser bicolor refrigerator from bigchillfridge.com.
So retro fabulous!



And all you statesiders: please remember to vote!

42 comments:

yiqin; said...

Wow, the mcqueen one is amazing!!! Mmhmm I so want the chanel leggings. If only it isnt so ex!

Anonymous said...

love the last dresses!

Lisa said...

I love the McQueen dress--beautiful couture and it appeals to my Canadian patriotism! I can't believe I get to be in NYC this year and see election night hysteria firsthand. :-D

Style Spot said...

Reese looks so beautiful in the McQueen dress, and the red/white dress by him is really stunning. Love! And the Pringle 1815 dress is so cute. Amazing post as always, dear xox

Guapóloga said...

Reesse look so bold in that McQueen I didn't recognized her!

Really bold trend...

Vintage Lollipops said...

I'm in love with the Chanel tighs and Hype gray and teal silk jersey dress!!!

Is that Nicole in top image??!!!? Stunning!!

K.Line said...

I am so with you on the marni mod dress. And with the orange tights it rocks!!

caroline said...

I have a dress which is white at the top, and the rest is black. I need some courage to wear it, but I love it! With some lace tights and high heels the dress looks wonderful. I'm getting a lot of inspiration by looking at your photos, thank.
xxx

Angela said...

i like the mcqeen. i like front and back b/c a gal can surprise onlookers.

WendyB said...

That fridge is so cute! I want to pinch its cheeks.

Meg said...

I love love love the Chanel tights!! And the refrigerator! And, as usual, McQueen is amazing.

we wear things said...

ooh love the new banner!!

and an interior designer friend actually ordered our bedroom furniture for us from a manufactuer.. but i've found a similar one here and i believe pottery barn or crate and barrel might carry 4post beds now too

-issa

Penny said...

i love that fridge!!!! plus i reeeally need a pair of those chanel tights

leeselooks said...

ah that MJ cardi is the ultimate.
yummy.

i love this look. a lot.
bold yet classic.

hope you're well beautiful !

x.

Reena Rai said...

Great pics once again! It's so hard to choose a favourite as I love dual colours. I'm seriously covetting those Chanel tights though!

La Belette Rouge said...

Just this a.m.( after voting) I bought a black and cream dress( think your licorice and cream post inspired me).As much as I like the dress I got I would also to love to get that lovely Agnes b. dress. Also, I am mad for the two-tone Roger Vivier shoes.

suis_aimée said...

(L) chanel!!!

:)

Fashion_Girl22 said...

I love how creative and innovative you are. I would've never thought of this in a million years.
I so badly want those Chanel shoes/stockings. I checked the price out and the black pair are more than a thousand. :o :[

Great Post!!

Pau(Rox) said...

Bueno, bueno, qué maravilla de post, me quedaría sin dudar con el vestido de Armani y el bicolor de Chanel.
XXX

MakeupByRenRen said...

i love the lil dresses!

Annie Spandex said...

Oh WOW. I am LOVING these!!

♥ Cara Mia ♥ said...

it's funny i just did a "mod" post today and some of these looks are just so mod and fabulous. i love the jane birkin pic!!!
:)

michelle said...

love it :)

T said...

Awesome post - i love the color block dresses!

Crave said...

OOh I'm in love with the McQueen gown at the begining of this post! So amazing!

Leeann @ Join the Gossip said...

haha Im half and half on this style. I love half of the things and dislike the others half. =) That's seems about right though hehe!

Anonymous said...

I love the chanel tights and heart the lotice dress... fantastic trend spotting... I'm happy i've discovered your blog! x

poeta fit, non nascitur said...

LOL at the bicameral fridge!

AusAnna said...

patterns look terrible on me so im digging this block colour. lovvve it girl.x

LenoreNeverM♡re said...

CC...we did it! You don't have to move away... Historical moment for this country babe!! Hallelujah!
Anyway, love anything with bi-, even bisexuals... hee;)

Anonymous said...

Tu blog es genial, vaya calidad de imágenes que consigues, me he enganchado. Un beso

Aliena said...

love this trend. already have two tone dresses, tights and gloves... adn hope to get more!!! reese looks absolutely gorgeous in the phtograph!

Marian said...

how cute is that lipsy dress. Think the purple works well with black. The MCqueen dress is AMAZING!love it. my darling the funny thing is theres been lots of bad press about those two tone Chanel tights but yours truly wants a pair!!
muah
marian

Marian said...

p.s Reese looks ravishing!!! i didnt recognise here,wow!

Songy said...

They are quite striking aren't they?
Just have to be careful not to make myself look too short going after that kind of look I think.

Lil Midget said...

I do agree with the trend being a big one in the fashion world at the moment. I wouldn't mine a pair of tights purple in front, black at the back :D

Btw, love the banner pic

xo

thoeythoey said...

waah. amazing post!

Always In Style said...

Hey - can't find the lumberjack post but thanks for the link love!

kokostiletto said...

i love the lipsy dress!

Mariana said...

CC---sorry to take so long...i've added you as a link! xx

Da Fashionista said...

i think someone got some inspiration form my super sweet fashion diary :)

Sasi said...

The blue&green flats are lovely.